“Nashville duo 10 STRING SYMPHONY began as a partnership of mutual admiration a much needed creative release valve for Rachel Baiman and Christian Sedelmyer, two 5-string fiddle players and veteran sidemen of Nashville’s music scene. Rachel, a former Illinois state fiddle champion in the old time tradition, needed an outlet for the new sort of songs she was writing, while Christian, originally a classically trained violinist, now a current touring member of the Jerry Douglas Band, was looking to get in touch the impetuous spirit of the rock bands he played in before his arrival in Nashville. With the love of the 5-string fiddle and its musical possibilities as its focal point, the band’s mission statement was as clear as it was expansive:
Two fiddles. Two Voices. Epic music.
And yet, “Weight of the world,” the band’s latest batch of recordings to be released on Oct. 23rd, is not at all the record one might expect from a duo of seasoned Nashville fiddlers. This is not a record of showboating no mere polished showcasing of technical virtuosity. Rather, at its core, “Weight of the world” is raw and intimate a nuanced and patient record with designs to move rather than merely impress its listeners. Rachel and Christian’s musical prowess and chemistry is certainly on display for those in the know, but listening deeply reveals that these flourishes are always in service of reaching the listener emotionally the spiritual earnestness of songcraft which keeps us perennially returning to the roots of American music…..
“Weight of the World” is a snapshot of an impetuous band in midstride old souls who are passionately determined to speak to our contemporary moment. From the sounds of it, this is just the beginning.” -James Wilson (Sons of Bill)
- They do things with fiddles you wouldn’t expect” NPR All Songs Considered “The Newest and Most Promising Voices in Americana”
- “…a dynamic musical stew that covers a wide spectrum of acoustic-based roots music, hitting on old-time, folk and bluegrass, all delivered with a dash of rock and roll spunk.” -American Songwriter Magazine
- “When each song ended, the two pressed tight into their microhphones, savoring the last strains of the harmony – and even the bartenders seemed to be leaning forward breathlessly, awaiting someone to clap first. Their self titled recording aptly demonstrates the power of a spare, tightly-connected acoustic performance that is given room to evolve – for bluegrass fans, the lightning fast harmonic runs on dueling fiddle is worth the price of admission alone. But it’s the off-road experiments, especially from Christian’s biting bow strokes that will make future audiences take note.” –The Bluegrass Situation
- “…Stirring together Old-Time flavors with the broader range of influences brought by an omnivorous musical appetite” -The Nashville Scene
- “An unassumingly intriguing record…something out of the ordinary” –Steve Hunt, fRoots Magazine (UK)
Please call 920-563-9391 to reserve.